Heritage Sunday at Early Chapel Cemetery
April 29, 2018
Pot Luck Lunch at Noon
This year we will have a combined 10:30 a.m. service in the Sanctuary and then go to Early Chapel Cemetery for a pot luck lunch. Everyone is invited to enjoy this annual event.
Early Chapel Cemetary is located on the south side of FM 696, 3.2 miles east of the intersection with highway 77 in Lexington. The cemetery is the site of the Early Chapel Church. The Early Chapel congregation merged with the Lexington congregation in 1927. Today, the cemetery is owned and maintained by the Lexington United Methodist Church and volunteers. The site was bought by the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1850, although some burials had occurred here previously. Buried here are San Jacinto heroes Capt. Jas. Shaw (founder of Lexington) and Wm. Hawkins; Civil War veterans; Mrs. R. Y. King, wife of first Lee County judge. Contains special section for slaves. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1967